June 1st, 2009

PSA [United States]: Border documentation

Today is the first day Bermudian, Canadian, and United States citizens must show "documents that comply with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)" in order to cross into the United States either by land or by sea. http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/eng_map.html provides a list of compliant documents.

In practice, this means a passport or other similar document. Earlier requirements which allowed American and Canadian citizens to cross the border with ID and proof of citizenship have now been superceded.

More information is available at http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingborders/

Just FYI.